Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fast and Furious...

No... not a guns or roses story... we'll save that for another time.

It's Saturday morning and I am just back from my morning fun run... and no I am not talking about the two legged kind...  I gave those up years ago... all those years in the Army and I had to run 2-3 miles a day three to five times a week.  I took alot of pride in that I never failed an Army PT test and still finished #4 in the two mile run... well ahead of most of those younger guys... in my last PT test before retirement...  but that was 50 pounds and over 15 years ago.   There's another lesson in that too... but again... another time, another day...

No... today I am talking about a FAST, FUN, top off run in a four wheeled fiberglass red roller skate...


When Dr. Flitman was going over my early AD diagnosis, he suggested a number of things... and one of them was that I might consider not driving on the open highways, and maybe not at night ... and perhaps I ought to consider a co-pilot as well.   When he said that I was not FURIOUS, but I was annoyed.  Maybe I can't remember the governor's name all the time, but I have not had any spacial disorientations, at least not yet.

Maybe he was afraid I might forget I was on the freeway... or what the speed limit was ( - "But officer, I can't remember what the speed limit is - I have Alzheimer's you know?" )  ... or how to get home.  Or maybe he was just saying that to cover himself legally.   But none of that has manifested itself as yet... and until it does... I don't plan to give up riding in the roller skate or hanging up my keys...   maybe some day... but not yet...   no... not yet...

I grew up in modest circumstances in a small town in Maine.  While my family never lacked for anything (as least so far as I knew), we only had ONE brand new car the entire time I lived at home.   And indeed, being the thirfty, flinty old New Englander I am, I think it was my fourth car before I broke down and bought a new one.

But as a kid, there was only one car I lusted after, a red Corvette.  And when I turned 50, having achieved a certain modicum of success in life.  I got one.  The one I drive is 11 years old, highly modifed, but she will still go pretty damn fast... as least fast enough for me.

Life goes by fast.  Grab some of it before it all passes you by is my advice.  I plan to keep reaching out and gettin' me some while I can.


P.S.  If you live in Phoenix, stay off the damn freeways on Saturday mornings between 7 and 10 AM!  That could be me out there blowin' your doors off as I blast by.    SEE YA!

No comments:

Post a Comment